Webinar Discussion on President Biden’s New Outbound Investment Screening Program: The Impact of Trade and Investment with China
Foley & Lardner and 4thly hosted a livestream digital panel discussion. The experts dive into the details of President Biden’s long-awaited Executive Order addressing U.S. government screening of the United States outbound investments into China for artificial intelligence, quantum computing, and semiconductor technologies and products.
The discussion addressed:
- The Treasury’s advance notice of proposed rulemaking, which is currently seeking public input on 83 questions related to how the EO will be implemented,
- Which investments will trigger screening,
- What the screening process will look like,
- The potential impact on trade and investment with China, and
- The potential impact on technology development in the U.S. and China in the following sectors: semiconductors and microelectronics, quantum information technologies, and artificial intelligence capabilities.
The speakers included:
- Ker Gibbs, previous President of the American Chamber of Commerce in Shanghai, whom some called the “ambassador of American business to China,”
- Crumpton Global Managing Director, Client Advisor, and Relationship Manager H.K. Park,
- Foley National Security Partner Dr. Christopher Swift,
- Foley Corporate Partner Louis Lehot, and
- 4thly Start-up Founder and Chief Executive Officer Bret Waters.
Originally published at https://www.foley.com.
Takeaways from Black Hat USA 2023 | Foley & Lardner LLP | Louis Lehot
Author(s): Lyman Thai, Louis Lehot, Andre Thiollier